CONFERENCE – Health and health care in Europe. Between inequalities and new opportunities17.06.2020 - 19.06.2020
Jagiellonian University Kraków, -, -, Polen.
17-19 June 2020, Jagiellonian University, Kraków, Poland
Call for Papers
After successful conferences in Lisbon (2016) and Torino (2018), the Mid-term Conference of the Research Network of Sociology of Health and Illness, European Sociological Association (ESA RN16) will be hosted by Jagiellonian University, the oldest university in Poland. In magical Kraków we will undoubtedly enjoy a fruitful, academically inspiring and engaging conference. We will have a comfortable conference venue, delicious and healthy cuisine, beautiful historical monuments, nice hotel base and a friendly, supportive atmosphere. We plan to make the conference full of inspiring presentations, relevant discussions and lively networking opportunities. We are planning a Special Issue of a journal from the conference.
The task of policy makers is to reduce inequalities, which means giving everyone the same opportunities to lead a healthy life. But the task for sociologists is to research and explain what does, or could, cause inequalities and to propose solutions. We know that education, employment status, income level, gender and ethnicity and other factors have a great impact on life expectancy and quality of life. In modern Europe all these social factors are fueled by migration, political tribulations and the neoliberal economy. Value crises, risk, and individualism do not help. Developments in medicine, in medical technology and biotechnology, new treatments and new procedures, and many other things which become an opportunity to cure and care, can be a source of further inequalities. That is why involving social science, in particular sociology, in the discourse about health and health care is important.
Inviting you to Kraków we offer various activities you may wish to participate in:
- Plenary session. Graham Scambler and Zofia Słońska will be our keynote speakers. The title of their presentations will be announced soon.
- How to publish? Karen Lowton on behalf of the Journal Sociology of Health and Illness will present some tips.
- Regular session. We plan 18 sessions. If you want to submit an abstract for an oral presentation please send your abstract (using the form provided) with the session name and other details by the deadline of 28.02.2020 to ESARN16conference@uj.edu.pl. For further information please see our CfP attached our visit our website Here.
- Poster Session. If you want to present a poster please send your application (on the form provided) the deadline of 28.02.2020 to ESARN16conference@uj.edu.pl.
- Meet a friend. We plan to organize meetings for all who want to find a partner for article or research grant proposal. If you are looking for colleague with whom you could write article or prepare a grant application, please send application (on the form provided) by the deadline of 28.02.2020 to ESARN16conference@uj.edu.pl.
- PhD and Early Career Researchers’ Workshop. The call for papers will be launched soon.
For submitting your abstract please use the appropriate form (attached to this email) and send it to ESARN16conference@uj.edu.pl. The address of the webpage of the conference will be announced soon. The registration of the conference will be made online after the launch of the webpage.
Local Organising Committee: Maria Świątkiewicz-Mośny, Aleksandra Wagner, Natalia Ożegalska-Łukasik
Scientific Committee ESA RN16 Board : Ellen Annandale, Ana Patricia Hilário, MariaŚwiatkiewicz-Mośny, Francesca Sirna, Guido Giarelli, Trude Gjernes, Lia Lombardi, Marta Gibin