18. November – 20. November 2021
The Russian Association of Medical Anthropologists and the Center for Medical Anthropology are launching a call for the 9th International Interdisciplinary Scientific and Practical Symposium „MEDICAL ANTHROPOLOGY FACING NEW CHALLENGES: THE WORLD, PEOPLE, KNOWLEDGE AND CULTURE IN THE PANDEMIC ERA,” to be held on November 18–20, 2021 at IEA RAS (Moscow).
The Russian Association of Medical Anthropologists and the Center for Medical Anthropology (based at the Institute of Ethnology and Anthropology, Russian Academy of Sciences) are launching a call for the 9th International Interdisciplinary Scientific and Practical Symposium „MEDICAL ANTHROPOLOGY FACING NEW CHALLENGES: THE WORLD, PEOPLE, KNOWLEDGE AND CULTURE IN THE PANDEMIC ERA,” to be held on November 18–20, 2021 at IEA RAS (Moscow).
We invite for participation medical anthropologists, bioethicists, ethnologists and ethnographers, sociocultural anthropologists, psychologists, sociologists, philosophers, folklorists and other experts.
The themes proposed for discussion:
1. COVID-19 pandemic: new challenges and ways to overcome them
2. Social and cultural life during the COVID-19 pandemic
3. Volunteers battling COVID-19 pandemic
4. Medical education facing the pandemic experience
5. The pandemic and transformation of the doctor’s image
6. Post-COVID (long COVID) syndrome as a problem of health care and health preservation
7. Problems of vaccination and opponents to vaccination in the COVID-19 era
8. A person in a COVID-19 hospital and at home: treatment and the experience of illness
9. Death and burial of COVID-19 patients during anti-epidemic restrictions
10. Ethnocultural and biopolitical features of the fight against COVID-19: the experience of different communities
11. Traditional medicine ™ and traditional medical systems (TMS) during the pandemic: features of the fight against COVID-19 in the countries of the East and West
12. Traditional medicine and healing, spiritual practices during a pandemic
13. Biomedicine and biomedical technologies
14. Industry of post-ovarian rehabilitation: preventive and wellness technologies
15. Doctors and patients: problems of communication, (mis)trust and therapeutic choices before and during the pandemic
16. The human body and the variety of concepts of corporeality
17. Anthropology of disability: medical and sociocultural aspects
18. Anthropology of reproduction, childbirth and obstetrics
19. Anthropology of consciousness and mental health
20. Anthropology of longevity and social gerontology
21. Food and medicine during a pandemic
The list of themes may be extended within the frameworks of medical anthropology, in accordance with your proposals.
Full name *
Abstract: under 300 words, for an electronic publication
* No more than three co-speakers may present one topic (all must be directly involved in the related project). Information on all co-speakers must be given in each field of the table, separated by semicolons.
We reserve the right to select applications for participation in the symposium.
Follow the updates at http://www.amarussia.ru/?lang=en.
For inquiries, please contact the symposium secretary Dr. Anna Ozhiganova –firstname.lastname@example.org